Winston Salem Gun Show

Recently, the freeholder http://thefreehold.blogspot.com/ ran a post on his visit to the Lexington Gun Show http://thefreehold.blogspot.com/2009/01/lexington-nc-gun-and-knife-show.html .


Today, it was my turn.


It is one thing to read or see pictures of what is going on at gun shows across the country currently, it is quite another to experience it first hand. Fortunately, I did not particularly need anything on this outing, quite the contrary, I went with the sole intention of getting rid of a problematic AR-7 I had purchased at this same venue a few years ago and decided I didn't need anymore. I figured given the frenzy going on currently, I might be able to unload it if I walked around long enough. Ahem. Folks, if you have anything- I mean anything- that you want to get out of the closet, right now is the time. I had hardly gotten out of the vehicle when I was approached by several interested parties, and fortunately the first person to make me an offer was someone I could sell it to- a local person with neither a criminal nor an ATF look to him. I gave him a good deal on the AR-7, as I prefer selling to decent people rather than making money on a suspicious one.

This done, I went through the gate to the ticket line. As Freeholder put it, OH-MY-GAWD. I frequent this particular gun show for two reasons: it is easy driving distance, and it is usually lightly attended, making for easy shopping. Not today. This was the first time I had ever had to hunt for a parking place at a gun show, and walking into the ticket area- where usually you can expect a half dozen, perhaps a few more, people in line- the dual lines stretched for the better part of a hundred feet. As I walked around to the end of the line, I commented loudly, "Well, it's good to see the panic is over..." which drew a hearty round of laughter from the folks waiting patiently in line. The line moved fairly quickly and without problems, most folks talking quietly and being unfailingly polite. I was also surprised to notice hardly anyone was smoking- don't know why, but very few people were. I also noticed the attendees seemed to be a bit more diverse than usual for this show- I'd bet more than a few of the folks I saw were at the first gun show they had ever attended. I said a kind word to the nice lady who took my money for the ticket, she looked up gratefully and said "It's been this way since we opened." She definitely earned her pay today.


Once inside, it was so crowded as to make shopping very difficult. Even so, again everyone there was as nice as could be. I never saw or heard anything other than perfect manners from every person I bumped into. From the reports I've heard on the trash and damage left behind at the anointed one's coronation, I can only draw the conclusion that gun owners have better manners than the liberals who are going to save the planet. Prices were a bit higher on anything on Obamas' hit list, but most places were not excessive, although I did see a Yugo SKS with a $495 price tag on it, and any type of AR rifle was several hundred bucks higher than when I was there just prior to the election. Standard capacity (don't ever call them 'high capacity, it's falling for the propaganda lies.) AR mags were plentiful, and for the most part reasonably priced, although some looked mighty worn. It looks like the suppliers are catching up with the sudden demand. Ammo was likewise back in stock, and I saw much more being carried out than normal. It seems that nobody much is trusting the anointed ones promise to leave our rights alone, and stocking up is the order of the day.

Not being one who enjoys fighting crowds, I made it a short visit today. It is encouraging to know that I am not alone in my beliefs, I only wish these same people had been this vocal before the election. Hopefully, the sleeping giant has awakened, and will begin taking part in the political process before it is too late. The mid-term elections will be here before you know it, and then we'll have our chance to correct this horrible mistake. Until then, let 'em know you are watching, and keep the damage under control.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home